Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Sorting Garbage...With Joy


I have a client with a very sad case right now who suffers from OCD that results in hoarding.  She convinces herself that there is writing on food wrappers and something of value in the garbage bags she saves the wrappers in.  She can’t get rid of garbage without inspecting each piece under bright lights and turning it back and forth several times.  She called for my help when she was facing eviction…again.  I go for a couple hours every week and help her let go of each piece.  Sometimes the smell hits me in the face as soon as I get to the door and I always dread going a little bit.  She is a truly delightful, well-educated woman, devastated that she is unable to overcome her mental issues and I just can’t refuse helping her.  

Today we had a real breakthrough and she let me do some of the assessing and pitching myself, rather than just watch her do it.  It might not sound like much, but it was a huge deal!  It dawned on me then that I was actually, almost, enjoying taking garbage out of one bag, looking at it, turning it, and putting in the next bag to be taken to the dumpster.  So I said to her, “You know, I’ve been working at another job in an attic all week and it is HOT.  I’ve been running up and down stairs and moving furniture and I am tired!  I am actually enjoying our time right now because I can sit here without breaking a sweat and carry on a conversation with you.”  You would have thought she just won the lottery.  The smile barely fit on her face and she was beaming with joy.  We had our most productive day yet and she ended the day with high hopes.  It is very unlikely she will avoid eviction and I know I can’t carry the burden of that, but today, two souls had a good day sorting trash together.  

I don’t know entirely why I felt compelled to share this story but I feel like someone who needs an ounce of hope right now will somehow find it here.   I started this business on a leap of faith that I felt called to make, and sometimes second-guess myself, and sometimes want to quit.  A lot of times I get inundated with calls from people very much like this woman and then I really want to quit!  But today she told me that she can see kindness and compassion in my eyes and that is why she trusts me.  I told her that is God’s love shining through me and then I remember that if He called me to this place then He will give me the strength to give my best and to find beauty in even a literally, garbage-filled day.   Choose joy today, regardless of your circumstances.  You won’t regret it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Epic Slowdown

  I’m really not sure where I’m going with this, but I’m overdue for a posting, so here it goes.   A lot of clients end...